Cycling is another excellent way of getting around and can offer you several health benefits:
- Low Impact – less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise
- Muscle Workout – did you know that cycling uses all of the major muscle groups as you pedal?
- Easy – Unlike some other sports, cycling doesn’t need a high level of physical skill.
- Strength and Stamina – cycling can increase your strength, stamina and aerobic fitness.
- Vary your Intensity – Cycling can be done at a low intensity to begin with, even if you’re recovering from injury or illness, but can be built up to a demanding physical workout.
- Fun – Cycling is a fun way to get fit, the sense of adventure and buzz you can get from being outdoors in Scarborough means you a more likely to continue to cycle regularly compared to other physical activities that keep you indoors or require special times or places.
- Time efficient – as a way of getting around, cycling replaces sitting time spent sitting in traffic with healthy exercise and can often be a quicker way of reaching your destination!
Did you know? The best way to build your cardiovascular fitness on the bike is to ride for at least 150 mins every week. You could cycle to work a few days a week, or do a couple of shorter rides during the week with a longer ride at the weekend. You’ll soon feel the benefits. (NHS)